Thursday, March 13, 2008

How to Have the Greatest Attitude Any Day

By Vincent Kituku

Human Hair in My Chicken Meal - A Blessing in Disguise

"You cannot tailor-make the situations in life but you can tailor-make the attitudes to fit those situations." Zig Ziglar

Your attitude toward everything in life will determine your peace of mind and both your short and long term success.

In the fall of 1986, God blessed me with a situation that should have been a depressing experience. I found a human hair in my food. That was a blessing in disguise. I had been in the U.S. for less than a year when I asked a friend of mine to take me to Denver, Colorado to look for a car for my family. We shopped way past lunchtime and about 3:00 p.m., we decided to take a break to find a restaurant. My friend took me to a place where chicken meals were sold. The good smell and the appetizing look of the food were beyond my imagination.

Chicken in Kenya, were I grew up, was very expensive and many people could hardly afford it. Then, here I was at a well-known fried chicken restaurant. I enjoyed every bite with an intensity words cannot describe. But before I cleared my plate, I noticed a person's hair. I just wanted to put the hair aside and continue with my lunch. However, my friend saw it and immediately asked for the manager and showed him the hair in my almost finished food. The manager was so apologetic, but I couldn't understand what was the big deal.

Then the manager said the most heartwarming words of the day, "I will give you another plate of food. We are sorry for the hair." I was not sorry for the hair. I was thankful for it. (Now I wonder how many other times I visited a chicken restaurant and looked for another hair just to be blessed with an extra plate of chicken).

On reflection, I have thought of the many situations where we focus on trivial inconveniences and overlook the blessings that might be disguised. We complain about a rainy day at the expense of being thankful for the food that will be harvested, as a result of the rain, for our survival. We complain about our jobs instead of being thankful for our employment, especially in these times of massive downsizing. We complain about what we don't have instead of appreciating what we do have.

Having an attitude of gratitude is a choice we make as individuals. You can choose to see the "social hairs" in your life or the extra plates of blessings you get because of the hairs. Think of the clean water or the fact you may not have to worry about your next meal or your family or your health. And don't forget that if you are reading this article, you have been blessed with another day that many people didn't live to see.

A leaders motivational keynote speaker and trainer, Dr. Vincent Muli Kituku, CSP works with organizations and individuals who want to increase their productivity, stay focused and have a sustained desire to make success a lifestyle and a choice. Vincent's inspirational speeches are catalysts for unlimited results that have led to Dr. Kituku being described as a research-based motivational speaker/trainer. His storytelling skills have won awards for both spoken and written words are attributed to improved morale, accountability, motivation and ownership by all employees. Dr. Kituku is one of the less than 7% speakers to earn the coveted Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) recognition, the highest designation presented by the National Speakers Association.

Wherever he speaks, people from all backgrounds agree that words cannot describe Vincent but that he must be experienced. His ability to captivate audiences with content, interaction and entertainment has made him not only a sought after speaker but an annual presenter for key organizations. No one is ever the same after listening and applying Dr. kituku's strategies and wisdom into their work and life endeavors.

The impact of Dr. Kituku's memorable speeches and workshops has propelled him into a league of his own. He has given presentations to Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 Companies including HP, CISCO, MICRON, and GENWORTH FINANCIAL. His insights have been sought after by Workforce Development Agencies, Association of Corporate Executives, Chambers of Commerce, Realtors, and National and International associations. He has worked with college football teams including the perpetual champions, the Boise State Football Team since 1998. He can reached at http://www.kituku.com or (208) 376-8724

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Vincent_Kituku

No comments: