Monday, March 10, 2008

Are We Prepared To Go All The Way?

By Susu Kacang

Recently, I came across a quote from Mother Teresa:

'God doesn't require us to succeed. He only requires that you try.'

This became a subject in one of my blog post. In response to the post, an intelligent comment was left by a fellow blogger. It begged the question:

'Are we prepared to go all the way?'

This challenged me to think deeper.

We will always have doubts in our lives. Whenever things don't go our way, we doubt if we made the right decisions. Whenever we don't achieve results, we doubt our own abilities. Whenever people start to walk away from us, we doubt ourselves.

With doubts taking place so frequently, it's no wonder we become less confident of ourselves as time goes by. This is so true - as we age, we become more careful. When we were children, we were not afraid to fall down. In fact, we got up each time we fell, because that was the only way to learn and grow. However, as we grew older, we became more and more afraid to fall because we might break our bones.

Come to think of it, this is not a wrong attitude. After all, we need to adjust to our physical conditions. However, it seems to me that all these little doubts will gradually erode our trust in ourselves and prevent us from striving for the best.

Sometimes we might face a really big challenge that seems insurmountable. The first thing to do is not to panic. Back off a little, and try to break the problem into smaller ones that you can manage. It's like climbing a mountain. If you cannot take a big step, then use smaller steps.

But there are times when you are really hitting against a wall. Take me, for example. Sometimes I have no idea what to write in my blog. My mind just feels tired after churning out so many original posts and refuses to work anymore. I feel like giving up the whole thing because it seems so hard. Apart from writing, I also have to address the technical issues associated with the blog.

So, when I have bloggers visiting my blog and leaving nice comments, it is a boost to my confidence. I am a little more encouraged to push on. In fact, I realize that it doesn't take a lot from us to offer kind words of encouragement to people who need them.

There is a saying that goes, 'The more you give, the more you will receive'. Therefore, when we help others to overcome their self-doubts, in the process, we also become more confident of our abilities to handle our own doubts.

Am I prepared to go all the way? Honestly, I can only answer that I will give my best. Perhaps the journey is more important than the destination itself.

Susu Kacang believes in the saying that if you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, but if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. He pens some of his daily thoughts in his blog: http://susukacangcafe.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Susu_Kacang

No comments: